Pages

Wednesday 5 March 2014

Why Am I Here

Too often I find myself asking this question. I guess people throughout the ages have asked this very same question. I wonder if anyone has come up with a really sensible answer?

Let me relate some background: Lately I have spent a lot of time sitting in front of a laptop listening to online lectures, reading books packed full of new information, dissecting theories, following procedures and generally trying to cram my mind full of supposedly important stuff. Besides the over-arching 'will all this learning make a difference' (because only time will tell), it's the busyness of the mind without any corresponding physical action which had me concerned.

But as far as work goes, it is just a part of life in the 21st century, capitalist dominated, media driven, democratic culture we are embedded in. Over the years in industry I've watched many workers walk around in circles for an entire 12 hour shift and come back again and again and again. Surely life must go beyond this thing we call work.

Anyway, as I rose from the business chair, turned away from the laptop, left the office and walked down the hall, I stopped in the kitchen area and asked myself this very question; "Why am I here"? ... I've just walked probably 15 metres and can't even remember why I wanted to be in the kitchen. (and you thought this was going to be deep) Food? Nope I'm not hungry. Coffee? Nope just had one. Dishes? They're all clean. arrggghhhh

So when I couldn't remember why I was there, I went beyond it. Yep, I felt there was a bigger question here that needed to be answered. 'What is the consequence of me being here'? So I laughed at myself. Silly buggah I am. It made me feel better for that moment and it certainly was better than cursing myself for being so stupid and forgetful. Forget anger, get past stupidity, put away depression and enjoy life!

So I encourage you all to do the same. Smirk, smile, chuckle, laugh out loud, it doesn't matter. It's strange how the smallest smile can make us feel better. Life is worth living!

Let's Drive,
ren0vator

P.S. Oh yeah, just before I sat down I remembered why I went to the kitchen, to wash out my coffee cup ;-)


2 comments:

  1. While I have a few more years on you, I will confess to wondering the same thing. After all I didn't become a noteworthy person. I did not contribute to any amazing discovery. I did not become an 'imporatnt" person by the world's definition of important. But I am confident that I am here for a reason. Perhaps just a moment in the life of someone else who might be influenced by that moment. Perhaps just to be kind when it is needed.
    I don't know but I trust that all is well in that department & I just live each day trying to be the kind of person that will leave a smile on someone else's face.
    As ever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 21st century culture is obsessed with celebrity and fame. Like you said Victoria, it's the daily interactions we have with other people that count :-)

      Delete