Pages

Sunday 9 March 2014

Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys

I enjoy riding my motorbike. I enjoy the wind all around me. I enjoy the aromas on the open road. I enjoy the way it makes my troubles fall away. I enjoy the solitude inside my helmet as I ride along. I enjoy the lighting fast acceleration and precise handling of the machine. I enjoy being somewhere else, in space and in my mind. The senses come alive to all that is about in nature, something no car, truck, bus, train or plane driver can attain in their air-conditioned cabins.

But I want to know why I have become to a second class citizen? In the state of Queensland in Australia, politicians have made it illegal to ride in groups of three or more. Now they will argue that the laws were made to target criminal motorcycle gangs, but inside the legislation it clearly states a "gathering of three of more". The list of so called 'outlaw' gangs is in a separate part of the bill. Let me explain ...

Some years ago a new law was introduced that targeted motorbike riders who were doing stunts on public roads. It read "must keep three point of contact with bike at all times". Fair enough. Fast forward to January 2014 and a motorcycle rider is issued with a ticket for this very offence because he was stretching his leg and had lifted one foot off the foot-peg. This is a very common practice among riders, to stretch their legs, and a photograph was posted on the internet of a police officer doing the exact same thing a few days later. In any case the rider still had four points of contact with the motorcycle; his two hands, his other foot and his ass.

The intent of the law has been perverted by adherence to the letter of the law and police have moved from policing to enforcement. The reactive attitudes of the media have become a part of our culture now and everyone, including the police, have no answer except to exert authority instead of utilise common sense or respect.

Another example: police in my town stopped not one, not two, but three funeral processions to harass and document the mourners on motorbikes. The police utilised their immoral legislative powers as the processions made their way to the graveyard. The police didn't have enough decency to wait until the burial was complete. One poor women, who died of cancer, had ridden with the notorious Ulysses motorcycle gang. Those baddass over fourties ride their motorbikes on weekends as part of a social club. These dangerous criminals probably swap tales of their illegal activities over their cappuccinos at roadside cafes whilst trafficking the latest in rheumatoid arthritis drugs. (#parody)

When did good governance become about controlling it's citizens? When did good governance stop being about protecting the weak and innocent? I will tell you when! When politicians started focussing on being elected to government instead of being in government. When spin doctors applied the same celebrity status to policy makers that they do to actors and musicians. When cartoon characters have more social influence than an Australian politician can muster. (Bill Shorten quotes Groundskeeper Willy in Federal Parliament)

Here we have one of the greatest benefits of riding a motorbike - sanity. I can leave all this rubbish behind! Where do you go to escape, recharge, and renew? It's only human after all.

Let's Drive,
ren0vator

No comments:

Post a Comment